Guggulu Scientific Name
Guggulu Other Names
Chinese: Mo yao
Sanskrit: Guggulu, Guggul
What is Guggulu?
Guggulu is an oily gum that is yellowish to brownish in color. It has amazing anti-inflammatory properties and is used in Ayurveda to treat arthritis, lower bad cholesterol and reduce risk of resultant atherosclerosis (hardening of arteries caused by cholesterol deposits), treat skin diseases like acne, and blemishes. Guggulu is found to control vata dosha and also aids in weight loss.
Common forms of Guggulu
Guggulu is commonly used for:
- Hangover (Veisalgia)
- Curing obesity and promoting healthy weight loss
- Treating osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and associated joint pain
- Lowering bad cholesterol levels
- Preventing and treating skin acne
- Anti-aging properties
- Wound healing properties
- Promoting healthy thyroid function
- Poor Circulation
- Preventing and treating Brittle Nails
- Rectal Bleeding (hematochezia)
Tablet: 1-2 tablets daily or as prescribed by the doctor
Capsule: 1-2 Capsules daily
Guggulu Side-effects and Warnings
Not so common side-effects: Not known.
Pregnant or Nursing Mothers: to be taken only after medical consultation
Children: Not known
Can cause itching and skin rash,not related to allergies.