What is Overeating?
What are the Symptoms of Overeating?
What are the Causes of Overeating?
- Sometimes genetics plays a crucial role. Research suggests any type of eating disorder has a strong genetic element. It is seen that the person who overeats always has someone from the immediate family with the same disorder.
- Some psychological conditions may also trigger overeating. Some mental conditions such as depression, stress, anxiety, or even anger may trigger overeating.
When to see a Doctor?
Lifestyle Prevention of Overeating
- The most important one is to maintain a food diary. This is a very useful way to prevent overeating. It will help you identify the food which is causing a false sense of hunger and which food is actually making you less hungry. This way you can change your eating pattern and choice of food.
- It is always better to eat quality food more frequently. This way it can assist you to feel fuller throughout the day and also help you control blood sugar spikes.
- Sleeping for longer hours (7 to 8 hours) is good for your health and also keeps you away from food which will eventually prevent overheating.
- As there are mental conditions that may cause overeating, meditation is helpful. This will allow your mind to calm down and as a result, you may lose the urge to eat a larger amount.
- Yoga may also be one of the ways to control your emotion and help you to prevent overeating due to emotional reasons.
- Drinking water before food helps you prevent overeating as it makes you feel fuller before you start eating. Also, try to drink water every time you feel hungry and wait for a few minutes. You may notice that your hunger has reduced.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Overeating
- Brahmi Milk: Whenever you are feeling hungry, try to drink a cup of Brahmi milk, it will surely suppress the hunger immediately. To make Brahmi milk, add a half teaspoon of brahmi in a cup of billing milk and drink it.
- Cardamom with Banana: If your hunger is caused by emotional or obsessive eating habits then try to eat a ripe banana chopped up with a pinch of cardamom powder. To enhance the taste add a little bit of ghee.
- Guggulu: Sometime the overeating may be caused by hyperthyroidism. Use kaishore guggulu which helps in controlling metabolism and soothes overactive thyroid.