Good for all doshas.
Prep Time: 5 Min
Total Time: 15 Min
Serves: 2 person
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- ½ cup of chopped zucchini
- ½ cup of chopped green beans
- ½ cup of fresh peas (carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, or broccoli can be switched according to the constitution)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 teaspoon of salt
- 12 – 14 cloves, (whole)
- 1-inch piece of peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks (crushed into small bits)
- 6 – 10 bay leaves
- 10 whole cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of ghee
- 1 tablespoon of grated coconut
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro(divided use)
- 1 lime
- Wash the rice in clean water twice and drain the water.
- Wash and roughly chop the vegetables.
- Take a blender, add the chopped ginger, 1/4 cup cilantro, grated coconut, and 1/2 cup water & blend until smooth.
- Take a 3-quart saucepan, melt the ghee, then add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, and asafoetida (hing).
- Once the seeds start to pop. Add the cloves, bay leaves, cardamom, and cinnamon.
- Pour in the blended mixture once spices are properly sautéed & give a pleasant fragrance.
- Add the garlic and season with salt. sauté until golden brown.
- Add the vegetables, washed rice, and 1 tbsp cayenne pepper and mix it well.
- Add 5 cups of water to the mixture and let it boil on medium heat.
- Cover and let it cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked & the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top and serve.