This Masala Rice recipe is a one-pot meal and hence is an ideal lunch box recipe appreciated by all age groups. The rice is mixed with masala made by adding spices and a choice of veggies. It can be served by itself but tastes great with raita.
Good for all doshas.
Prep Time: 5 Min
Total Time: 15 Min
Serves: 2 person
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- ½ cup of chopped zucchini
- ½ cup of chopped green beans
- ½ cup of fresh peas (carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, or broccoli can be switched according to the constitution)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 teaspoon of salt
- 12 – 14 cloves, (whole)
- 1-inch piece of peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks (crushed into small bits)
- 6 – 10 bay leaves
- 10 whole cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of ghee
- 1 tablespoon of grated coconut
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro(divided use)
- 1 lime
- Wash the rice in clean water twice and drain the water.
- Wash and roughly chop the vegetables.
- Take a blender, add the chopped ginger, 1/4 cup cilantro, grated coconut, and 1/2 cup water & blend until smooth.
- Take a 3-quart saucepan, melt the ghee, then add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, and asafoetida (hing).
- Once the seeds start to pop. Add the cloves, bay leaves, cardamom, and cinnamon.
- Pour in the blended mixture once spices are properly sautéed & give a pleasant fragrance.
- Add the garlic and season with salt. sauté until golden brown.
- Add the vegetables, washed rice, and 1 tbsp cayenne pepper and mix it well.
- Add 5 cups of water to the mixture and let it boil on medium heat.
- Cover and let it cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked & the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top and serve.
Sprinkle chopped cilantro and coconut over the top before serving.
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.