Avial or aviyal is a popular and traditional mixed vegetable dish from south Indian cuisine. It is made by cooking various vegetables in a coconut and yogurt sauce garnished with coconut oil and curry leaves.
Good for all doshas
Prep Time: 15 Min
Total Time: 25 Min
Serves: 4-5 person(approx)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
- 1 cup of all seasonal vegetables – fresh green peas, broad beans seeds, clusters beans, carrot, beans, yam, small yam, arbi, sweet potatoes, potatoes, brinjal, drumsticks, raw bananas, and mango
- Chop the washed vegetables and steam them.
- Grind coconut, green chilies, ginger, and cumin seeds into a paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan, and add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds begin to pop add ground coconut masala and let it cook for 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add steamed vegetables, 1 tbsp curd, and curry leaves.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil and salt to the avial.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve Hot
Serve with steamed rice, sambar, pickle and some papadoms for a hearty and satisfying meal.
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.