What is Hangover?
What are the Symptoms of Hangover?
- The symptoms of a hangover are widespread. Most of the people who are experiencing hangovers have fatigue and weakness accompanied by headaches and muscle aches. Some people with a hangover may also have extreme thirst and dry mouth. In some cases, people may experience gastrointestinal distress, such as stomach aches, vomiting, and even diarrhea, which may lead to loss of appetite.
- Dizziness is also one of the very common symptoms of a hangover. Some people may also develop mental disorders, such as depression, mood disruption, inability to concentrate and anxiety.
What are the Causes of Hangover?
- A hangover is caused by drinking alcohol. Because too much alcohol consumption can lead to dehydration. When you drink alcohol, you tend to urinate more and that triggers dehydration. Also, alcohol can cause an incendiary reaction from the immune system which may impact your appetite, concentration, and memory.
- Alcohol can cause nausea and vomiting by increasing the stomach acid and reducing the rate at which the stomach empties. This may trigger gastrointestinal distress and cause several problems.
- In some cases, the over drinking of alcohol may drop the blood sugar level which can lead to many health complications like weakness, dizziness, fatigue, etc.
When to see a Doctor?
Lifestyle Prevention of Hangover
- Preventing a hangover is only possible by quitting alcohol. If not completely then limit your consumption within the moderate limit. However, few measures can be taken to prevent hangovers,
- The alcohol gets absorbed by your stomach more quickly if you drink it on an empty stomach. So, eating before or while consuming alcohol can reduce the risk of getting hangovers. Also, it is seen, if you sip water between drinks, it will prevent you from getting dehydrated.
- Understanding your limit and reaching there slowly is very important. Do not exceed the limit and do not drink alcohol too quickly.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Hangover
- Kalmegh: Kalmegh juice is very effective in treating hangovers. Boil it in hot water or keep it in a glass of water the whole night and then strain the water and drink it. However you need to add natural sweetener to the juice as this herb is bitter in taste.
- Gotu Kola: This herb is known best for its ability to detoxify the liver. So this is also a very effective herb in preventing and curing Hangovers. Use it as a drink. Add 600 mg dried leaves/150 ml water and drink one glass, three times.
- Neem: This herb is also very much effective in detoxification. It also has an antiinflammatory effect that can protect you from organ damages from consuming alcohol. Use neem leaves to make a neem juice. Put neem leaves and some water in a blender and blend it to make it smooth and drink it.