What is Bursitis?
What are the Symptoms of Bursitis
What are the Causes of Bursitis
- Repetitive movements like tennis or movements above the head like lifting something to a top shelf.
- Tasks like cleaning floor on your knees
- Damage or injury in the area
- Inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout and infection.
When to see a Doctor?
- Disability joint pain
- Sudden inability to move a joint
- Excessive swelling, redness, bruising or a rash in the affected area
- Sharp or shooting pain
Lifestyle Changes to Prevent Bursitis
- Using kneeling pads: Use some type of padding to reduce the pressure on your knees if your job or hobby requires a lot of kneeling.
- Lifting properly: Bend your knees when you lift. Failing to do so puts extra stress on the bursae in your hips.
- Wheeling heavy loads: Carrying heavy loads put s stress on the bursae in your shoulders. Use a dolly or a wheeled cart instead.
- Taking frequent breaks: Alternate repetitive tasks with rest or other activities.
- Maintaining a healthy weight: Being overweight places more stress on your joints.
- Exercising: Strengthening your muscles can help protect your affected joint.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Bursitis
- Taking kaishore guggulu (1 tablet 3 times a day) should help. This herbal remedy is available by mail from various sources of Ayurvedic herbs.
- Application of sandalwood paste will be soothing. Make the paste by taking 1 teaspoon of sandalwood powder and adding sufficient water to form a paste. Rub it gently onto the painful area.
- Before going to bed at night, take 1 cup of hot milk with 2 teaspoons of castor oil added. The laxative effect will eliminate pitta-type toxicity in the colon. If 2 teaspoons do not work, use 3 teaspoons the following night, adjusting your own dose. You should get a couple of good bowel movements in the morning, which will help to cleanse the impurities of the colon. You may continue using this remedy until your symptoms clear up.
- As a second choice, you can take triphala or amalaki (1 teaspoon) at night in 1 cup of warm water.