What is Tonsillitis?
Tonsillitis is a condition that occurs when you have inflammation on the tonsils due to a bacteria called Streptococcus pyogenes. However, it can also be by other bacteria and viruses. This condition may have symptoms such as inflamed tonsils, trouble swallowing, aching throat, etc.
What are the Symptoms of Tonsillitis?
Tonsillitis has many symptoms. Some of the most common symptoms are red and inflamed tonsils, yellowish layer or spots on the tonsils, painful throat, trouble swallowing, may experience fever, may develop scratchy voice, might suffer from enlarged lymph nodes in the neck, etc.
What are the Causes of Tonsillitis?
There can be two possible causes of Tonsillitis. It may cause by bacteria or there may be a viral infection which is causing this condition:
- Bacterial tonsillitis is caused by group A Streptococcus bacteria and this type of tonsillitis is called strep throat.
- However, in most of the cases this condition is caused by viral infections such as cold, flu, etc.
When to see a Doctor?
Tonsilitis can be very annoying and may cause a lot of difficulties in performing daily tasks. So, it is important to seek medical help as soon as you start experiencing symptoms of this condition. However, some severe cases need to be treated immediately. In case you are suffering from a sore throat with fever, or your pain is not going away within 24 hours to 48 hours, you need to visit your doctor immediately. Also, in case you are suffering from extreme fatigue or you have difficulty breathing, etc. this may be a case of severe infection and need immediate medical intervention.
Lifestyle Prevention of Tonsillitis
- Preventing tonsillitis is not always possible. However, there are ways to minimize the risk of encountering the virus or bacteria that cause tonsillitis. As these viruses and bacteria are contagious, the best prevention is to practice hygiene.
- Most important is to wash your hands frequently, particularly before eating and after using the toilet. Since this condition spreads from person to person, try to avoid sharing food, water bottles, drinking glasses, or any other utensils. Also, try to avoid going out in case you have a fever or sore throat. Cover your face and mouth while coughing and sneezing.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Tonsillitis
There are some great Ayurvedic remedies to cure Tonsillitis. Some of the herbs and spices such as tulsi, turmeric, cinnamon, fenugreek are very effective in treating Tonsillitis.
- Tulsi: Tulsi or holy basil is known for its anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. Add 10 to 15 basil leaves in a cup of water and boil it for 10 to 12 minutes and then strain the water. For taste add a little bit of honey and drink this solution three times a day.
- Turmeric: This is one another very useful spice to fight tonsillitis because of its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory qualities. Gargling with Turmeric and salt water twice a day is very useful. Just add half a tsp of turmeric powder and half a tsp of salt in a cup of hot water and gargle.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties and it is very useful in treating tonsillitis. Mix one tsp of cinnamon powder in a glass of hot water and add two tsp of honey. Drink this twice a day.
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.