Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 45 to 60 Minutes
Serves: 1 pound
- 1 pound of Indian gooseberry
- 2 T sesame oil
- 2 T chopped curry leaves
- 1 t crushed black pepper
- ½ t turmeric powder
- Salt to taste (preferably Himalayan salt)
- ½ T Paprika powder (optional)
- Wash the gooseberries, dry, deseed and cut into cubes
- In a cast-iron skillet, heat sesame oil and stir fry the gooseberries
- Add curry leaves, spices, and salt and mix well
- Allow to cool and transfer to an air-tight glass jar
Serve few pieces of these gooseberries as a side dish with rice and lentils or kitchari.
You can add ½ tsp of asafoetida for a distinct pungent taste.