This gooseberry stir fry is one of the delicious recipes from South India. Contrary to other dishes this preparation uses pepper powder for a spicy flavor. Amla or Indian Gooseberry supports liver function, improves eyesight, has high fiber content, and is the most recommended home remedy for anemia and acidity problems.
Good for all doshas.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 45 to 60 Minutes
Serves: 1 pound
- 1 pound of Indian gooseberry
- 2 T sesame oil
- 2 T chopped curry leaves
- 1 t crushed black pepper
- ½ t turmeric powder
- Salt to taste (preferably Himalayan salt)
- ½ T Paprika powder (optional)
- Wash the gooseberries, dry, deseed and cut into cubes
- In a cast-iron skillet, heat sesame oil and stir fry the gooseberries
- Add curry leaves, spices, and salt and mix well
- Allow to cool and transfer to an air-tight glass jar
Serve few pieces of these gooseberries as a side dish with rice and lentils or kitchari.
You can add ½ tsp of asafoetida for a distinct pungent taste.
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.