What are Sprains and Strains?
What are the Symptoms of Sprains and Strains?
- The symptoms of sprains are different from the symptoms of strains. Let us understand separately.
- Sprain symptoms consist of pain, inflammation, bruising, and stiff joints that are unable to move.
- Strain symptoms predominantly included muscle spasms, swelling, cramping, and difficulty moving.
What are the Causes of Sprains and Strains?
When to see a Doctor?
- If the Sprain and strain are not severe, it can be treated with home remedies and over-the-counter medicines. It generally heals within a week.
- However, in case you suffer from the condition for more than a week even after trying several home remedies and over-the-counter medicines, you need to visit a doctor. In case you have excessive swelling in the injured joint, you need to seek medical help. If your affected area is tender to touch and you find it really hard to put any stress in the wounded area, you need to book an appointment with your physician.
Lifestyle Prevention of Sprains and Strains
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Sprains and Strains
- Drink Juice: drinking pineapple or pomegranate juice is very important and effective. These two fruits have anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties which help to cure the sprain and strain quickly.
- Mustard Seed Tea Bag: For ankle sprain, soaking your foot in a pot of hot water with a mustard seed tea bag is very useful. To make this tea bag, put 2 tsp of mustard seed in a cheesecloth or other similar cloth and tie it up. Then plunge the knotted cloth with mustard seed in the hot water.
- Healing Paste: This herbal paste made of Turmeric and salt is a great remedy to reduce your swelling. Just add about half tsp of turmeric and half tsp of salt and then mix it with water to make a paste. Apply on the injured area.