What is Rheumatism?
Rheumatoid arthritis is a medical condition that occurs when your own immune system wrongly attacks your own body’s tissues. This is an autoimmune disorder. This condition is a serious medical disorder as it may harm a large range of body structures, involving the eyes, skin, heart, lungs, and blood vessels. This condition causes a painful swelling that can ultimately cause bone loss and joint distortion.
What are the Symptoms of Rheumatism?
There are some typical symptoms of Rheumatism. The most common symptom is sore, warm, and inflamed joints with stiffness. The stiffness worsens after sleep or any post-inactivity phase such as sitting for a long time. You may also experience tiredness, fever, and even loss of hunger. Other than that, there may be some more symptoms that may affect your other body parts and organs such as skin, eyes, lungs, heart, kidneys, etc.
What are the Causes of Rheumatism?
- There is no evidence to prove what causes Rheumatism. However, there is a possibility that your genes sometimes may react to some environmental factors such as disease from specific microbes or viruses. These may trigger Rheumatism.
- Let us understand some risk factors that may make you susceptible to this condition.
- If you are a woman, you have a greater chance than a man to develop rheumatoid arthritis.
- In case you are a middle-aged person, you are at more risk of developing this disease.
- If there is a history of rheumatoid arthritis in your family, your chance of getting this disease is much higher than others.
- Smoking cigarettes increases the possibility of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
- Individuals who are obese seem to be at a slightly greater chance of improving rheumatoid arthritis.
When to see a Doctor?
You need to see your doctor if you are suffering from irritation and pain with swollen joints.
Lifestyle Prevention of Rheumatism
- Since the exact causes are unknown, preventing Rheumatism is not an easy task. However, it might help you to take some preventive measures in order to live a healthier life and avoid getting this disease.
- Limiting exposure to environmental contaminants may decrease the risk of developing this disease.
- Also, opting for a healthier diet can assist you with your treatment and make you strong from within. Sometimes being overweight may cause this condition so try to lose extra fat from your body. If you smoke, quit.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Rheumatism
There are some great herbal remedies to treat the inflammation caused by Rheumatism. Herbs and spices such as Ginger, Thyme, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Garlic, Blak-Pepper, Indian Frankincense, Chamomile tea, etc. are very effective on Rheumatism.
- Ginger: Ginger is known to be one of the best herbs for treating inflammation. So adding ginger in your diet is very important. You can take ginger supplements or add chopped or grated ginger in your daily recipes. Sipping ginger tea is also very helpful. Make this tea by seething pieces of ginger for 15 minutes in a cup of hot water, and drink two times daily.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has antioxidant properties that prevent cell loss. So try adding a pinch of cinnamon powder to your smoothies, oatmeals, stews and soups. However, never overuse cinnamon.
- Chamomile tea: This is also very famous in treating any inflammation related disease for anti-inflammatory properties. Made from 3 g dried flowers in 1 cup of water, two or three times a day.
Curative Ayurvedic Herbs:
Preventative Ayurvedic Herbs:
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.