Red lentil soup is easy to make, warm, comforting and full of rich nutrients. It helps in combating muscle weakness and debility caused in flu, diarrhea or fever and builds strength. Lentils in general are rich in protein and carbohydrates which make it a good meal supplement especially for vegans and vegetarians.
The spices in this recipe are for balancing pitta dosha.
Total Time: 60 Mins
Serves: 4 to 6 persons
- 1 cup of split red lentils (dehusked)
- 5 to 6 cups of water (based on your desired thickness of soup)
- 2 t ghee
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1 t mustard seeds (black)
- 1 pinch hing (asafoetida)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 T chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 t turmeric
- A big pinch each of cumin powder, coriander powder, cinnamon powder, black pepper, all spice, clove powder
- 1/2 t Salt (preferably Himalayan salt)
- Wash the split lentils at least twice and soak for 2 hours. Drain. Overnight soaking may be required for whole or husked lentils
- Add the soaked lentils with 4 cups of water in a saucepan or soup pot and bring it to a boil.
- Lower the flame and let it boil for 30 mins. Stir occasionally so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add 1 more cup of hot boiling water and simmer until the lentils are mushy and set aside.
- Heat the ghee in the pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and wait till they splutter
- Add Hing (Asafoetida)
- Add curry leaves, turmeric and ground masalas, mixing quickly
- Add the ghee mixture to the cooked lentils in the soup pot.
- Add salt and more water (as per your required consistency)
- Bring to a boil for 2 mins. Turn off the flame and cover for 5 mins before serving.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve hot with rice or bread. Can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Adding garlic in the ghee along with curry leaves will help balance the vata dosha.
Check out the Ayurvedic benefits of ingredients used in this recipe
Asafoetida I Black Pepper I Black salt I Coriander I Cinnamon I Cumin Seed I Clove I Curry Leaves I Garlic I Mustard Seed I Turmeric
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.