This recipe combines all different varieties of onions in a soup and can be made in any season. Ideal for vata and kapha constitution and can be had as an appetizer or a complete meal if combined with bread.
Good for Vata and Kapha.
Prep Time: 1/2 hour
Total Time: 45 mins
Serves: 2 Persons
- ½ cup of sliced red onion
- ½ cup sliced white onion
- ½ cup of sweet yellow onion
- ½ cup sliced shallots
- ¼ cup of white portion of spring onions, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Freshly crushed black pepper for seasoning
- Heat oil in a soup pot. Add Bay leaf
- Once fragrant, add shallots.
- Once the shallots turn translucent add yellow onion and let it caramelize
- Once the edges of the yellow onion turn brown, add other varieties of onion
- Keep scraping the pan to avoid burning and uniform caramelization, while adding a little amount of broth at a time. This usually takes 10 to 15 minutes
- Add garlic and saute for another 2 minutes
- Once the entire mixture is evenly caramelized, add the remaining broth and let it Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes
- Once the onions turn soft and soggy, add salt and pepper.
- Mix well and Serve hot.
For more nutrients and flavor, add chopped carrots, celery, etc.
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.