What is Vaginal Yeast Infections?
A vaginal yeast infection is a medical condition that occurs when a woman experiences vaginal irritation, itching and discharge. This is a very common fungal infection and also called vaginal candidiasis. This infection affects up to 3 out of 4 women at some point of time in their life.
What are the Symptoms of Vaginal Yeast Infections?
There are many symptoms of Vaginal Yeast Infection. Some of the typical symptoms are intense itching and irritation in the vulva and vagina. Most of the women initially experience this symptom. Additionally, you may feel a burning sensation during urination or intercourse. If not treated immediately, you may have swelling in your vulva and develop soreness and pain in your vagina. Also, you might notice a vaginal discharge that is thick, white, and mostly odor-free or you may also have a watery discharge.
What are the Causes of Vaginal Yeast Infections?
The primary cause of vaginal yeast infection is the fungus Candida Albicans. When the yeast of your vagina grows, it causes the infection. The yeast grows under certain circumstances, such as the use of antibiotics may affect the imbalance of the natural vaginal flora and cause the yeast to grow. Pregnancy can also trigger this condition. Health conditions like uncontrolled diabetes may be another cause of this condition. Sometimes taking oral contraceptives can make your vaginal yeast grow and cause the infection.
When to see a Doctor?
You need to see your doctor in case you are experiencing the symptoms of yeast infections for the first time, and you are not sure if these are caused by the vaginal yeast infection. However, you can still try to use over-the-counter antifungal vaginal creams and then visit the doctor if your symptoms aren’t relieved.
Lifestyle Prevention of Vaginal Yeast Infections
Some of the preventive measures are stated as follows:
- You should never stay in wet clothes for a long time.
- Try to avoid very hot tub baths. Douching may cause the removal of bacteria that protects the vagina from infections.
- There is a possibility of getting the infection from scented feminine products such as pads, tampons etc. So, avoid using anything scented of that sort.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Vaginal Yeast Infections
Some Ayurvedic home remedies are really very effective on Vaginal Yeast infections. Some natural vaginal wash made with chamomile tea, Coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and rose water is very useful in treating this condition. Also applying Aloe-vera gel and tea tree oil with honey is very effective.
- Aloe-Vera Gel: Refreshing aloe vera gel scrubbed out of the aloe barbadensis leaves has amazing calming and nourishing properties that give instant aid from irritated, swollen scratchy skin. Thanks to its antibacterial properties, it impedes the expansion of infection-triggering bacteria or yeasts. Use a slender layer of the freshly removed aloe gel onto the impacted part to alleviate inflammation and deliver a cool sensation.
- Tea Tree Oil and Honey: Infused with powerful anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-viral properties, the oil acquired from Tea tree leaves carries high importance in calming, drying up, and reducing swollen skin. Honey on the other hand helps the swollen skin. But one must keep in mind to reduce the tea tree oil in warm water before using it in the area as it may cause a bit of irritation. Inculcate 2-3 drops of tea tree oil in tepid water, add a spoon of honey to it and drop it over the contaminated part applying a cotton ball to get successful results.