Prep Time: 15 Min
Total Time: 45 Min
Serves: 4 person(approx)
- Wash and rinse the brinjals
- Slit each brinjal horizontally and vertically from the base, keeping the stalks intact.
- Soak for 20 minutes in water with salt.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the soaked tamarind to extract the pulp. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Add mustard, and when it begins to pop add urad dal, chana dal, cumin seeds, methi seeds, and coriander seeds.
- When they turn light brown, add peanuts.
- Add red chilis and when they change color turn off the flame and keep aside.
- When the spices have cooled down, add salt, turmeric powder, tamarind extract with water and grind them together into a smooth thick paste. The filling is ready.
- Fill each brinjal with the masala stuffing and keep aside.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Add the stuffed brinjal with 4-5 tbsp of water and ½ tbsp tamarind extract.
- Add salt to taste, cover and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- You can also pressure cook the brinjals for 5-6 whistles.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- Use small brinjals for uniform cooking and more flavor.
- You can adjust the spice as per your choice.
- Adding oil is necessary for the rich flavor.
- You can also add onions to the masala while frying for an enhanced flavor.