This sweetly spiced cooked rice recipe is one of the traditional staples of Ayurveda. This recipe is easy to make, takes only minutes and fortifies all dosha constitutions in every season, and is a great recipe to start your day.
To pacify Vata add nuts, sesame seeds, or fruits.
To pacify Pitta add berries.
To pacify Kapha boil rice with water only and avoid dates.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Serves: 2 person
- ½ cup any traditional Indian rice variety or you can use basmati rice
- 1 T ghee, preferably cow’s ghee
- 2 green cardamom pods
- ½ t Cinnamon powder
- ¼ cup soaked and peeled almonds, chopped
- 4 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 T raisins
- 1 T chopped walnuts
- 1 T honey/maple syrup
- Water as needed for cooking rice
- 2 strands of Saffron
- Rinse rice in water 2-3 times to remove starch.
- In a saucepan, melt ghee over medium flame and saute cardamom for a minute.
- Add rice and stir well.
- Add water and bring to a boil over medium-high flame.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and slowly stir in the cinnamon powder, almonds. Cover, and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Add dates, walnuts, and raisins, reduce the heat to low, and let it cook for another 10 minutes with a lid.
- Add honey/maple syrup, Saffron strands and mix together. Simmer for 2 more minutes and take it off the heat.
- Serve warm with toppings suggested for specific dosha.
This pudding can be served hot or chilled, depending on the season.