What is Nosebleed?
What are the Symptoms of Nosebleed?
- The symptoms of nosebleed are very straightforward as you can see your nose is bleeding.
- If you notice bleeding from one or both of your nostrils, along with a feeling of flowing fluid at the back of the esophagus and often have a desire to swallow, then you should visit a doctor to check the causes of these symptoms.
What are the Causes of Nosebleed?
- There are many causes of nosebleeds. Some nosebleeds may be caused by external factors, and some may be caused by internal factors. Some of the major causes of nosebleeds are discussed below,
- In most cases, it can be caused by colds and sinuses. Particularly when you are suffering from constant sneezing, blowing your nose hard, and coughing.
- Nose picking or inserting any object into your nose may cause injury which will lead to nose bleeding. Or maybe any other injury to your nose or face may cause this as well.
- In case you are addicted to cocaine or any other drugs and inhaling them through your nose, you may experience nosebleeds.
- In case you are visiting a high-altitude place when the air is thinner because of reduced oxygen level, it can cause nosebleeds.
- Certain medications which you are taking to treat itchy, stuffy, or runny nose may cause dryness in the nasal membrane and you end up suffering from nosebleeds.
- Some other factors that may cause nosebleeds are excessive consumption of alcohol, elevated blood pressure, nose surgery, nasal tumor or polyps, pregnancy, leukemia, etc.
When to see a Doctor?
Lifestyle Prevention of Nosebleed
- Nosebleeds can be prevented by following some preventive measures. In case it is caused by some underlying diseases then it is a different scenario but if the causes are typical then these tips will be very helpful in avoiding such circumstances.
- In most cases, nosebleeds occur due to dryness. So moisturizing is the key. So, keep the inside of your nostril wet and moist. You can use saline sprays to moist your nostril passages.
- Using a humidifier can also be a good idea to keep your nose moist, especially during sleep when you will inhale through your nose for a longer hour. So, running a humidifier in the room will help.
- Smoking and alcohol consumption is also one of the major causes of nosebleeds. So stop it immediately.
- Nose picking should be stopped since it is also one of the most common causes of nosebleeds. Additionally, hard nose blowing also is avoided as that may cause injury to your nostrils and may trigger nosebleeds.
- Using protective gears during a sport that may cause injury to your nose is also very crucial. Sports such as kickboxing, basketball, rugby, cricket, etc. have a very high chance of nose injury. So never forget to wear your protective gear.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Nosebleed
- Herbal Mixture: Mix one-third tsp of Manjistha and one-eighth tsp of kama dudha in a glass of warm water and drink daily.
- Juice Treatment: Drinking cranberry juice and pomegranate juice mixture is a great way to prevent or treat nosebleeds.
- Pomegranate Nose Drops: Pomegranate juice can stop the nosebleeds immediately. So place a few drops of pomegranate juice into your nostril and see the results.