What is Morning Sickness?
What are the Symptoms of Morning Sickness?
What are the Causes of Morning Sickness?
- The most common cause of this condition is increased hormone levels during the first trimester. It also may be caused by reduced blood sugar levels. However, other causes may also trigger this condition and the severity varies among women.
- Those who have double or triple fetuses tend to experience morning sickness more often than those with single fetuses.
- Excessive fatigue during pregnancy may also cause this condition.
- Emotional stress can be another cause that triggers morning sickness.
- Frequent traveling can be a cause of morning sickness as well.
When to see a Doctor?
- In most cases, Morning Sickness is a minor medical condition that doesn’t need any medical intervention and can be treated with over-the-counter medications. However, there may be instances when a pregnant woman may experience more severe symptoms along with morning sickness. In that case, visiting a doctor is very important.
- In case you are unable to keep the food down, it might be a cause for concern and immediate medical intervention is needed. Weight loss of more than 2 pounds is not normal and that needs to be diagnosed by the doctor. If you experience moderate to high fever along with morning sickness, then make an appointment with a doctor. Nausea and vomiting are normal but the dizziness and lightheadedness are not very usual and if you experience that, do not delay in seeing your doctor. In case you notice any blood in your vomit, then it must be something seriously wrong. Any pain in the abdominal region needs to be addressed immediately.
Lifestyle Prevention of Morning Sickness
- It’s natural to experience morning sickness during pregnancy so nothing can stop you from getting that. However, by taking some preventive measures you can reduce the effect of morning sickness.
- Drinking plenty of water is a very important safety measure and that reduces the frequency of Morning Sickness. Also drinking water particularly before and after the meal will be more effective. Taking enough rest is very important to keep yourself healthy during pregnancy.
- Use room fresheners to remove the odor which makes you nauseous. Eating small meals and avoiding spicy and fatty food is important to prevent this condition. Try to eat clean and less in quantity.
- Do not smoke or take vitamins at night.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Morning Sickness
- Cardamom: This is a very useful spice for treating nausea. Just roast and grind cardamom seeds and take a small pinch for the whole day whenever feeling nauseous will surely help.
- Cumin: Cumin can also be a very effective spice in order to deal with vomiting and nausea. Drinking half a teaspoon of Cumin powder with one glass of hot water is a great home remedy to get rid of morning sickness.
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea is very useful for your digestive system and hence it helps in easing nausea and vomiting. To make this tea, soak a tablespoon of dried Chamomile in one glass of warm water for about 10 minutes and then drink.