What is Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids is a health condition that occurs when the veins of your anus and lower rectum are swollen. This condition may build up inside your rectum or beneath the skin around your anus. The previous type is called Internal Hamorrhoid and the following condition is called External Hamorrhoid.
What are the Symptoms of Hemorrhoids?
- The symptoms of hemorrhoids depend on the type of the condition. Internal hemorrhoids are having different symptoms than external hemorrhoids.
- If you suffer from external hemorrhoids, you may experience itching or irritation in your anus.
- Also, it may cause you pain and discomfort. Swelling around your anus is also one of the common symptoms of hemorrhoids. You also may suffer from anus bleeding if you have this condition.
- In the case of internal hemorrhoids, it is difficult to identify as it occurs inside your anus and cannot be seen or felt. However, you may notice painless bleeding during bowel movements. Also, you may feel pain and irritation if you put any pressure on your bowel movements.
- There is another type of hemorrhoids called Thrombosed hemorrhoids. This type of hemorrhoid has symptoms such as, pain which may be severe, swelling in the anus, a hard lump near your anus.
What are the Causes of Hemorrhoids?
- The causes of Hemorrhoids are widespread. The veins over your anus tend to stretch out under pressure and may swell or bulge. When there is increased pressure in the lower rectum, Hemorrhoids can grow. Let us understand the causes of such an incident.
- If you strain too much during the bowel movements you may develop hemorrhoids. That is the reason why people with constipation have more risk of getting this condition.
- Similarly sitting for a long period of time in the toilet can also trigger this condition.
- People who are obese have more tendency to suffer from hemorrhoids.
- In case you eat a low fiber diet which may result in constipation, you can have hemorrhoids.
- Sometimes women who are pregnant can be affected by hemorrhoids.
- People who do a lot of heavy lifting in the gym or any other activity have a high probability of getting hemorrhoids.
When to see a Doctor?
In hemorrhoids, the most concerning factor is rectal bleeding. So rectal bleeding should be avoided at any cost. Hemorrhoids may not be fatal and can be treated with over-the-counter medications but rectal bleeding can be a cause of more severe conditions like colorectal cancer and anal cancer. If you experience any other symptoms such as a change in bowel habits, change in stool color, and consistency you should see a physician.
Lifestyle Prevention of Hemorrhoids
- By following some healthy lifestyle habits, hemorrhoids can be prevented. So let us understand how we can avoid this condition.
- The most important thing is to eat high-fiber foods and drink plenty of water. This way it can help you keep yourself less strenuous during bowel movements. Straining during a bowel movement to pass the stool is one of the major causes of getting this condition so avoid that completely,
- Do not hold if you have the urge to pass stool. Because in case the urge goes away your stool might harden up as it gets dried out and it may cause strain during bowel movement and gradually develop hemorrhoids.
- Working out daily can prevent constipation and help you decrease the pressure on veins. Also, it may help you to lose weight and avoid being obese.
- If possible, avoid a long time of sitting, especially on the toilet. Sitting too long may increase the pressure on the veins and cause hemorrhoids.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Hemorrhoids
Ayurveda can help you treat Hemorrhoids. Some of the best remedies are given below:
- Triphala powder: This is made out of Amla, Bibhitaki, Haritaki, Mortar. Make a powder of these herbs and mix it well to make triphala powder. It can be consumed as tea.To make the tea just add 1 tablespoon of the powdered triphala and add it in a cup of water. .Then boil and strain the water. Make this tea and drink 2 times a day. That will be really helpful.
- Isabgol: Isabgol also one of the time tested herbs for treating hemorrhoids. You can take 2 teaspoons of Isabgol in a glass of water or buttermilk and consume it before going to bed. This will help you soften your stool and ease you during your bowel movements.
Curative Ayurvedic Herbs:
Preventative Ayurvedic Herbs:
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.