What is Food Allergies?
What are the Symptoms of Food Allergies?
- There are various symptoms of food allergy. However, some of the symptoms are common in almost everyone who is suffering from this condition. In most cases, the reaction may be mild but in a few instances, the reaction may be severe and It is called anaphylaxis.
- Symptoms of food allergy include vomiting and diarrhea, trouble breathing or tightening in the throat, abdominal cramps. You may also suffer from low blood pressure.
What are the Causes of Food Allergies?
- Food allergy can be caused by various reasons. Whenever your immune system identifies certain substances in the food as something harmful it releases an antibody known as immunoglobulin E (IgE) to counteract the allergen. So,next time if you end up eating even a small portion of that food, your IgE will sense it and your immune system will release a chemical called histamine to your bloodstream and you will start experiencing allergy symptoms.
- However, there are some proteins which cause most of the food allergies. Shellfish, such as shrimp, lobster and crab can cause food allergies. Also peanuts, tree nuts such as walnuts can be one of the major causes of skin allergies. Someone might get an allergy from eggs, wheat, soy or even from cow’s milk.
When to see a Doctor?
- The symptoms of food allergies seem minor at the beginning but may worsen into severe medical conditions. So, if your symptoms are severe such as difficulty breathing or swelling in different parts of your body you need to seek medical help immediately.
- In some cases, you may not develop severe symptoms, but the symptoms are persisting for a long time. This is the time you need to see your doctor.
Lifestyle Prevention of Food Allergies
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Food Allergies
- Some of the Ayurvedic remedies are effective in treating food allergies. If you are not sure which is causing you the allergy, then use the following remedy
- Roast some cumin, fennel, and white sesame seeds, and eat a handful after meals. This is really going to help you boost your immune system to fight against the allergies.
- You can also try purgation remedy. For that Take 1 teaspoon of amalaki or sat isabgol (psyllium husks) at night. Add the herbs to 1 cup of hot water, let it stand for 10 to 15 minutes, and drink.