Saag is a south Asian dish traditionally made with mustard greens, spinach, and fenugreek leaves creating a spring balance of bitter, astringent, pungent, and semi-sweet tastes. All the greens can be substituted with any other seasonal greens available. Here we are making the sag with Collard greens. The key is to balance the bitter greens and milder greens evenly.
Good for Kapha Dosha
For Pitta, replace the broth with coconut milk
For Vata, Cook in 1 cup of milk and a pinch of nutmeg, and serve over rice.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Serves: 2 Person
- Melt the ghee over medium heat, add onions and red chili and saute for 2 mins.
- Add garlic and turmeric and other ground cumin and saute
- Add the greens and spinach and stir.
- Cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes over low heat.
- Blend the greens with broth. Pulse 3 times to get a fine chop.
- Transfer back to the skillet and let it simmer
- Season with salt and serve.