What is Acidity and Heartburn?
The heartburn usually feels like it’s burning in the center of your chest, behind your breastbone. This condition shouldn’t last for more than an hour and can be cured at home with non-prescription medicines.
What are the Symptoms of Acidity and Heartburn?
Symptoms of Acidity and Heartburn include:
- Chest pain, particularly when you bend over, stretch out, or eat
- Burning at the back of your esophagus
- Fluid at the back of your esophagus that tastes hot, sour, acidic, or salty
- Lasting cough, sore throat, or hoarseness
- Dysphagia — the sensation of food being stuck in your throat
What are the Causes of Acidity and Heartburn?
- Going to bed right after you eat
- Eat excessively
- Over recommended weight for your height
- Overeating spicy or fatty or acidic food
- Certain medications. Look at product labels for side effects.
- Cigarette and alcohol usage
When to see a Doctor?
You should contact your doctor if:
Lifestyle Changes to Prevent Acidity and Heartburn
- Not going to bed with a full stomach.
- Avoiding overeating.
- Eating slowly
- Wearing loose-fitting clothes.
- Avoiding certain foods.
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Not smoking.
- Sleeping on your left side.
- Raising the head of your bed
- Planning your exercise to avoid heartburn.