What is Toenail Infection?
What are the Symptoms of Toenail Infection?
What are the Causes of Toenail Infection?
- You may suffer from this infection if you cut off the nail very sharp, or you cut down the shell around the nail. Also, if You have an ingrown toenail (the side of your nail penetrates the skin).
- There may be a possibility that you have picked up a fungus, which you may get if you walk barefooted in a public area such as a gym shower or locker room.
- When your foot is wet for a longer period, you may get this infection. For this reason swimmers tend to get toenail infections very often.
- Wearing tight shoes for a longer period may also trigger toenail infections.
When to see a Doctor?
- In most cases, toenail infections which are not caused by fungus can be cured with home remedies and over the counter medications. In case your toenail infection is caused by fungus, you need to see a doctor. For the diabetic person, any infection which is not going away by the home remedies needs to be treated by a professional.
- However, there may be instances when you develop other symptoms along with toenails infections such as fever, joint pain or muscle pain, red steaks on the skin, etc. you should never delay in visiting your doctor.
Lifestyle Prevention of Toenail Infection
- The prevention of toenail infection is possible by following some simple measures. Most importantly cleanliness is the key. Keeping your feet clean and dry all the time is very crucial if you want to avoid this condition. Washing your feet with soap every day is recommended.
- Going out barefoot in public may increase the possibility of the infection as the fungus may easily spread from person to person. So, avoid going out barefoot in public. Particularly in warm or wet places.
- Try to maintain foot hygiene by changing your socks and shoes often. Wear a clean sock every day. In case you tend to sweat a lot then carry an extra pair of socks and change them whenever your feet get sweaty.
- Do not buy any footwear that fits very tightly. Buy shoes which allow enough space to let your feet breathe.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Toenail Infection
- Apple Cider Vinegar: In case you want to cure your toenail fungus using ACV, you can soak your feet in a mixture of warm water and ACV for about 15 minutes two times daily.
- Turmeric: Turmeric also has anti-fungal properties. Add 2 tsp of turmeric in a pan of boiling water and add salt then let cool a bit and soak your foot for 15 minutes. Do it daily 2 times.