What is Swelling (Edema) During Pregnancy?
Swelling (Edema) during pregnancy is a condition that occurs when the excess fluid in the body accumulates. It may also be caused by the pressure from the expanding uterus. In most cases, the swelling may affect the ankle and feet. The swelling may worsen when a woman’s due date approaches, especially during the end of the day or in hot weather conditions.
What are the Symptoms of Swelling (Edema) During Pregnancy?
- The symptoms of swelling during pregnancy are very straightforward. You know when you have swelling on any part of your body. You experience puffiness under the skin, your abdomen size increases, and you have stretched skin.
- However, there are some severe cases when you suffer from some serious health issues, such as chest ache, shortness of breath, trouble in breathing, etc. In that case, you need to see a doctor immediately as it may be the symptoms of pulmonary edema.
What are the Causes of Swelling (Edema) During Pregnancy?
- The Swelling during pregnancy is triggered by your body carrying extra fluid than normal while you’re pregnant. During the day the additional fluid is likely to accumulate in the lowest parts of the body, particularly if the weather condition is warm or you have been standing for a longer time. The weight of your increasing womb can also impact the blood flow in your legs. This type of swelling is called Physiological edema.
- However, apart from Physiological edema, some less common health conditions may trigger swelling during pregnancy. Disorders such as deep vein thrombosis, preeclampsia, Peripartum cardiomyopathy, cellulite, etc.
When to see a Doctor?
- In most cases, swelling in your ankle and feet is normal and doesn’t need any medical intervention.
- However, there may be circumstances when you need to rush to the nearest clinic. For instance, if you are suffering from any symptoms of preeclampsia or a heart disorder.
Lifestyle Prevention of Swelling (Edema) During Pregnancy
- As we know, hot weather conditions can cause swelling, keeping away from any activity where you need to go out when it is hot is very crucial.
- In case you have swelling, try to rest your feet in the elevated position for some time.
- Drinking plenty of water is important. It helps you to flush out the extra fluid and reduce the swelling.
- Try to reduce sodium and caffeine intake and increase potassium intake. Eating clean and green is very useful during pregnancy.
- Try to wear loose and comfortable clothes.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Swelling (Edema) During Pregnancy
- Dandelion Leaves: Dandelion leaves are very effective on any kind of swelling and inflammation due to its high antioxidants.. Drinking dandelion tea during pregnancy is very useful in treating any kinds of swelling. To make this tea, take 2 tsp of dried dandelion leaves and add 1 cup of hot water. Then steep it for about 10 to 12 minutes and drink it twice a day.
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Chamomile tea is a great remedy to reduce swelling during pregnancy. Made from 3 g dried flowers in 1 cup of water,and take twice or thrice a day.