Prep Time: 5 minutes, plus overnight to chill, and 1 month to preserve.
Serves: 2 persons
- 5 lemons quartered
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- 2 T paprika (kashmiri red chilli powder)
- 1 T cumin powder
- Toss the quartered lemons with salt, sugar, paprika, and cumin powder in a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day put the lemon slice in a jar and pour the liquid from the bowl.
- Press to submerge the lemons, seal the jar, and store in a cool dark place for 1 month or longer.
- Shake every day, and refrigerate once the rinds are soft.
- To use, slightly rinse the lemon slice and serve.
Can be served with dishes instead of fresh lemon slices.
Add it to cooking kitchari, stews, or dal in the last 5 minutes.
These preserved lemons are good for Vata and a great way to add a fresh sunny flavor to winter dishes.
For medicinal benefits, add turmeric (root or powder), brown mustard seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, or black peppercorn to the jar before sealing.
As it has a high percentage of sugar, should be used sparingly by diabetic patients.