Prep Time: 5 Min
Total Time: 1hr 5 Min
Serves: 4 Persons
- 3 cups milk (whole or semi-skimmed)
- 1/2 cup basmati rice (washed and drained)
- 1/2 tsp powdered cardamom seeds
- 2 tbsp blanched, chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp pistachio nuts (peeled and sliced)
- A pinch of saffron, soaked in boiling milk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of raisins (optional)
- 3 tbsp honey or jaggery
- 1 tsp ghee
- In a medium saucepan, add milk, washed rice, and cardamom and bring it to a boil, then reduce to low heat and constantly stir to avoid lumps.
- Cook for about 25 minutes, or until the rice is mushy and starts to break.
- Now add in the soaked saffron and raisins (if using) and continue to cook for another 4–5 minutes.
- If using jaggery, add to taste and boil until it completely melts. But if you are using honey, add it just before serving, don’t heat it.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add chopped nuts. Garnish by drizzling 1 tbsp ghee, and serve while hot!