An easy-to-make kheer recipe made with milk and rice is popularly known as Indian rice pudding and is one of the most popular sweet dishes. This delicious, nutritious dessert is ideal for the winter months. Spiced Rice Kheer is revitalizing, immune-boosting, and is excellent for reproductive organs as well as overall health and wellness.
Good for balancing Vata Dosha
Prep Time: 5 Min
Total Time: 1hr 5 Min
Serves: 4 Persons
- 3 cups milk (whole or semi-skimmed)
- 1/2 cup basmati rice (washed and drained)
- 1/2 tsp powdered cardamom seeds
- 2 tbsp blanched, chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp pistachio nuts (peeled and sliced)
- A pinch of saffron, soaked in boiling milk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of raisins (optional)
- 3 tbsp honey or jaggery
- 1 tsp ghee
- In a medium saucepan, add milk, washed rice, and cardamom and bring it to a boil, then reduce to low heat and constantly stir to avoid lumps.
- Cook for about 25 minutes, or until the rice is mushy and starts to break.
- Now add in the soaked saffron and raisins (if using) and continue to cook for another 4–5 minutes.
- If using jaggery, add to taste and boil until it completely melts. But if you are using honey, add it just before serving, don’t heat it.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add chopped nuts. Garnish by drizzling 1 tbsp ghee, and serve while hot!
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.