Quinoa is a wonder grain, high in protein and inherent fluffy texture. These quinoa soft steamed idlis are sure to be the winner at potlucks. Serve with hot sambhar or coconut chutney for a completely healthy meal.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 16 hrs 45 Mins
Serves: 4 persons
- 1 cup Quinoa
- ½ cup Black gram dal (split), dehusked
- 1 T flattened rice (poha)
- ¼ t fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 T ghee
- Rinse quinoa 2-3 times, add poha and urad dal and rinse again.
- Soak quinoa, poha and black urad in water for 6-8 hours.
- Drain water and blend it with water until it has a pancake batter-like consistency.
- Add the batter to a container and let it ferment for 8-12 hours in a warm place or inside the oven with lights on.
- The fermentation should create a light fluffy mixture with a pleasant aroma.
- To get the idli steamer ready, pour 1 cup of water in the steamer and let it boil. Meanwhile, grease the idli mold with ghee
- Add salt and 1 T of ghee to the fermented mixture and mix well.
- Add the batter a little at a time to the idli mold. Do NOT overfill the mold as the Idli will need space to puff up once they steam
- Place the mold in the steamer and close the lid
- Let it steam for 15-20 mins
- Open the lid and put a toothpick in the idli, it should come out clean when the Idlis are fully steamed.
- Leave the steamer open for 2-3 mins before spooning out the idlis. Serve hot.
Serve with coconut chutney or cilantro chutney or hot sambar, or just ghee
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.