Quinoa is a wonder grain, high in protein and inherent fluffy texture. These quinoa soft steamed idlis are sure to be the winner at potlucks. Serve with hot sambhar or coconut chutney for a completely healthy meal.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 16 hrs 45 Mins
Serves: 4 persons
- 1 cup Quinoa
- ½ cup Black gram dal (split), dehusked
- 1 T flattened rice (poha)
- ¼ t fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 T ghee
- Rinse quinoa 2-3 times, add poha and urad dal and rinse again.
- Soak quinoa, poha and black urad in water for 6-8 hours.
- Drain water and blend it with water until it has a pancake batter-like consistency.
- Add the batter to a container and let it ferment for 8-12 hours in a warm place or inside the oven with lights on.
- The fermentation should create a light fluffy mixture with a pleasant aroma.
- To get the idli steamer ready, pour 1 cup of water in the steamer and let it boil. Meanwhile, grease the idli mold with ghee
- Add salt and 1 T of ghee to the fermented mixture and mix well.
- Add the batter a little at a time to the idli mold. Do NOT overfill the mold as the Idli will need space to puff up once they steam
- Place the mold in the steamer and close the lid
- Let it steam for 15-20 mins
- Open the lid and put a toothpick in the idli, it should come out clean when the Idlis are fully steamed.
- Leave the steamer open for 2-3 mins before spooning out the idlis. Serve hot.
Serve with coconut chutney or cilantro chutney or hot sambar, or just ghee