This red lentil lemongrass soup is an ideal recipe for gentle cleansing and rejuvenation with the combination of lemongrass and pippali. Pippali is used in ayurvedic remedies to enhance immunity and rejuvenation while lemongrass soothes the mind and body.
Good for all dosha
Ideal for balancing kapha
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
Serves: 4 to 6 Person
- ⅔ cups of red lentils, soaked for 12 hours
- 4 cups of water
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 1 inch ginger grated
- ¼ t pippali powder
- 2 t lime juice
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 2 T chopped shallots
- 2 T sunflower oil
- Salt to taste
- Add sunflower oil in a pan over medium-low heat.
- When the oil is warm add the lemongrass (bruise the stalks with a wooden spoon beforehand), ginger, salt, and pippali powder, and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add shallots, lentils, water and bring to a boil. reduce the heat and let it simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes until it is cooked and somewhat mushy.
- Remove the lemongrass stalks and puree with an immersion blender for a creamy consistency.
- Add lime juice and cilantro, serve hot.
For kapha, garnish with julienned mustard leaves.
For vata and pitta, stir in coconut milk or fresh plain yogurt before serving.
You can add your choice of green leafy vegetables to the soup while boiling.
You can drizzle extra virgin olive oil before serving.
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.