Jamalgota Scientific Name
Jamalgota Other Names
English: Purging Croton
Hindi: Jamalgota, Jaypal
What is Jamalgota?
Jamalgota, also known as Purging Croton, is a strong laxative, which works to encourage bowel movement. However, it has potent effects, which may cause cramps during defecation and loose stools. Beyond treating constipation, its a medicinal plant which is used in Ayurveda to stop problems like arthritis, gastrointestinal disorders, constipation, pimples, dysentery, intestinal pain, baldness, peptic ulcer, dyspepsia, headache, and intestinal inflammation. The seeds are mostly used as detritus (dead particulate organic material).
Common forms of Jamalgota
Jamalgota is commonly used for:
- Treating both persistent and obstinate constipation
- Treating gastrointestinal ulcers
- Reducing muscle and joint pain
- Treating hemorrhoids
- Treating skin tags
- Treating abscess
- Treating jaundice
- Treating rheumatoid arthritis
Jamalgota Vach Dosage
Purified Croton Kernels: 5-25 mg once a day or as prescribed.
Croton Root Powder: 100-1000 mg once a day or as prescribed.
External Bark of Croton Roots: 500-1000 mg once a day or as prescribed.
Jamalgota Side-effects and Warnings
Common side-effects: Unpurified or unprocessed Jamalgota is unsafe and may cause severe irritation and inflammation in the alimentary canal and may result in the following side effects: stupor, acid dyspepsia, dizziness, vomiting, severe cramps, burning in the abdomen, diarrhea, ulceration in the mouth, severe abdominal tenderness.
Not so common side-effects: Not known.
Pregnant or Nursing Mothers: Due to a lack of scientific research, it is recommended to not take Jamalgota while pregnant or nursing.
Children: Avoid taking Jamalgota.
1) Unpurified Croton oil is unsafe. 20 drops of croton oil can lead to death. Even a single drop may cause negative side effects.
2) It should not be used under the following health conditions: acute abdomen, acid reflux, before and after surgery, endometritis (inflammation of endometrium), ulcerative colitis and other inflammatory conditions of the abdomen, gastritis, abdominal pain, bleeding disorders.