This recipe takes a vegan twist on lasagna where zucchini and eggplant ribbons replace pasta, lentils and tomatoes replace ground meat, and a nutty pesto makes it golden and rich. The hearty spices give this dish an earthiness and warmth that makes for a comforting meal.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes, plus overnight to soak
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Serves: 4 Persons
- ½ cup lentils (soaked overnight)
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 2 T finely chopped shallots
- ½ T crushed garlic
- 8 to 10 big Basil leaves
- Salt to taste preferably Himalayan salt
- ¼ t ajwain seeds
- 1 T ghee
- 2 medium-sized zucchini
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 1 cup spinach cilantro pesto
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup of ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup of crumbled fresh paneer
- Heat ghee in a pan and add ajwain seeds and shallots. Shallow fry till golden brown
- Add garlic, tomato sauce and lentils and let it cook till the lentils turn mushy.
- Add roughly chopped basil leaves, salt, and pepper. Mix and set aside
- Wash zucchini and eggplant and cut into long elongated ribbons. Set aside
- In a baking dish, spread a small amount of tomato sauce evenly. Place the eggplant ribbons longitudinally.
- Spread a thin layer of pesto, followed by random small dollops of ricotta.
- Add a layer of zucchini ribbons and spread generous amounts of tomato sauce followed by eggplant ribbons and repeat the layering.
- After the final layer of zucchini, top it off with crumbled paneer and freshly chopped basil leaves.
- Bake at 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes, till the top layer of paneer, turns golden brown.
This recipe is a good healthy meal if you want to follow a plant-based diet or ketogenic diet.