This dip is a traditional south indian condiment that is served with almost every south indian dish. It is made with fresh coconut and helps in improving bowel movement and other digestion related issues.
Good for all doshas. The kapha and vata balancing properties can be enhanced by adding asafoetida.
Prep Time: 12 Minutes
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Serves: 3 Cup
- 2 cups of fresh shredded coconut
- 1 ½ inch of ginger
- 1 T cilantro leaves
- 1 small green chili
- Water as needed for blending in a smooth consistency
- Salt to taste
- 1 T of coconut oil
- ½ t black mustard seeds
- ½ t cumin seeds
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 1 pinch of asafoetida
- ½ t fresh lime juice
- 1 dried red chili
- Blend coconut together with ginger, green chilli, and cilantro into smooth paste, add water as necessary.
- For tempering, melt coconut oil in a saucepan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, and curry leaves, and dried chili. Wait till the seeds sputter.
- Pour the oil mixture over coconut dip, squeeze lemon juice and add salt.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.