What is Canker Sores?
Canker sores are small, shallow lesions that occur due to cuts or bruises in the soft tissues of the mouth. Sometimes sharp, dried, or hard foods, such as popcorn, corn chips, crackers etc can hurt the oral mucous membrane and manifests as a canker sore.
What are the Symptoms of Canker Sores?
Tingling or burning sensation 1-2 days before the appearance of sores
What are the Causes of Canker Sores?
- Minor Injury from dental work, rigorous brushing, sports mishaps, accidental cheek bite
- Toothpaste and mouth rinses containing sodium lauryl sulfate
- Sensitivity to a particular food
- Diet lacking in vitamin B-12, zinc, folate (folic acid), iron
- Allergic reaction to certain bacteria present in the mouth
- Helicobacter pylori (bacteria that cause peptic ulcers )
- Hormonal shifts during menstruation
- Emotional stress
When to see a Doctor?
See a doctor if your sores are:
- Unusually large
- Recurring before the old ones heal
- Occurring frequently
- Extending into the lips (vermilion border)
- Uncontrollably Painful
- Causing extreme difficulty in eating or drinking
- Occurring with high fever
Lifestyle Changes to Prevent Canker Sores
- Try to avoid foods that seem to irritate your mouth
- Avoid foods to which you’re sensitive or allergic
- Choose healthy food to help prevent nutritional deficiencies
- Follow good oral hygiene habits
- Avoid toothpaste and mouth rinses with sodium lauryl sulfate
- Ask your dentist about orthodontic waxes if you wear braces or any other dental appliances
- Destress yourself using stress-reduction techniques
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Canker Sores
- Turmeric and Honey Paste: Mix together 1 teaspoon honey with ¼ teaspoon turmeric, and rub it on the sore. It will burn a little at first, but the sore area will heal quickly.
- Rinse your mouth several times a day with a little aloe vera juice.
- Have 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel 3 times a day to heal canker sores
- Aloe Vera Gel with Neem Powder Paste: Mix 1 teaspoon of gel with a pinch of neem powder and apply directly to the canker sore
- Tea Tree Oil Mouthwash: Put 10 drops of tea tree oil in ⅓ cup of water, and swish the liquid in your mouth
- Kama Dudha Herbal Remedy: Take ¼ teaspoon kamadudha ras and 1 teaspoon fresh cream. Mix together and rub it on the sore.