It’s a traditional Indian dish cooked on auspicious days and frequently eaten as a meal if fasting is observed. It’s a quick one-pot recipe that is sattvic by nature. This gluten-free, vegan savory kitchari variant prepared with tapioca or sago pearls is quick and easy to make, and it’s a fantastic healthy option for everyday meals. This recipe works well for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Balance the Pitta Dosha
Prep Time: 6-7 hour (soaking)
Total Time: 30 min (plus 6-7 hour of soaking)
Serves: 2 Persons
- Rinse the sago until the water runs clear. Soak for 6-7 hours in 1 cup of room temperature water.
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan, heat the oil & add cumin seed and wait till it starts to make a crackling sound.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the bay leaves, chilies, and ginger, sizzling for 10-15 seconds before adding the potatoes and salt.
- Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender. Toast the peanuts in a dry pan while this is frying.
- Now add soaked sago. Sauté at low-medium heat until the sago becomes translucent.
- Turn off the heat, add the lemon or lime juice, roasted peanuts, and fresh coriander, and serve in a bowl.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!