Mushrooms are a good source of vegan protein. Risotto can be made healthier by using low glycemic and lesser calorie basmati rice or any other Indian Variety of short-grain Rice like Sona Masoori, Ambemohar etc. Avoid using brown rice varieties as it will not give a creamy texture to the Risotto. To give it a cheesy twist add 1 tablespoon of cheese when the rice is cooked before seasoning with salt and pepper. Can also be served with paneer. To make the cheesy version vegan friendly, add 1-2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast.
Good for Pitta dosha.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 25 Minutes
Serves: 4 person
- 2 cups finely diced portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup short-grain rice like Sona Masoori or Ambemohar, or broken basmati rice
- 2 T ghee
- 1 T finely chopped shallots
- 1 t lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cups of Vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- ¼ t freshly ground black pepper
- Melt ghee in a large saucepan. Add shallots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute till they start leaving water.
- Add the rice grains and saute for 2 minutes. Add lemon zest and juice and stir gently.
- Add 1 cup of broth and stir until it is fully absorbed. Add another cup of broth in 1/2 cup amounts.
- When the 2 cups of broth are absorbed, continue adding the broth in 1/2 cup amount.
- When all the broth is fully absorbed and the rice is tender, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Can be served with paneer cubes, fresh thyme, oregano, basil, and a drizzle of olive oil.