Lemon rice with Indian lilva beans also known as Avarekalu Chitranna is a classic Karnataka rice dish cooked with Hyacinth beans, lemon, onion, coconut, and spices. It is one of Karnataka Cuisine’s main course recipes which is easy to make and nutritious.
Good for Vata and Kapha Dosha
Prep Time: 10 Min
Total Time: 40 Min
Serves: 4 persons
- 1 cup lilva beans (also known as avarekalu)
- 2 cups rice (cooked)
- 1/2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafetida (hing)
- 5 slit green chilies
- 2-3 curry leaf twigs
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 coriander leaves springs (chopped)
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp ghee (or oil)
- salt to taste
- Cook the rice in a separate cooker.
- Add 1 tsp of oil/ghee to the cooked rice and stir well. Set aside for now.
- Take water in a pan, add lilva beans and cook till it gets tender.
- Once cooked, strain the lilva bean and set it aside.
- Then, heat some ghee/oil in a pan & add the ½ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp urad dal, a pinch of hing, & handful of curry leaves and stir gently
- After that, add the chopped onions and slit green chilies and cook till golden brown.
- Toss in the boiled lilva beans and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the boiled rice, mix it well and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the lemon juice and coriander and toss to mix well.
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.