Common characteristics of Kapha Dosha
Here are some common characteristics of Kapha dominated person:
|Body Feature||Broad body, strong bones, and muscles, curvy physique.|
|Skin||Soft and cool skin.|
|Hair||More likely to have thick, wavy hair.|
|Weight||Easily gains weight, and tends to be overweight.|
|Strengths||Enjoy good stamina, healthy bones and joints, and a strong immune system, compassionate, caring, trustworthy, patient, wise, joyful.|
|Weaknesses||Slow metabolism, lethargy, oversleeping, respiratory problems, high risk of heart disease, mucus build-up, prone to depression.|
|Food Preference||Prefer spicy, bitter, and sweet flavors.|
|Speech||Have a deep voice and speaks slowly|
Signs of a Kapha Imbalance
Kaphas are calm, grounded, and sincere when they are in balance. When out of balance, they binge eat and avoid exercising, resulting in weight gain and diabetes.
Here are some common ailments caused due to Kapha Imbalance:
- Common cold
- Seasonal allergies
- Appetite loss
- Weight gain
- Swelling and puffiness
- Lethargy, lack of motivation
- PCOS/ PCOD
- Excessive sleep
Diet to Balance Kapha Dosha
Here are some insights on the diet to balance Kapha Dosha :
|Category||Foods to Eat||Foods to Avoid|
|Vegetables||Green leafy vegetables, asparagus, artichoke, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, peas, zucchini, okra, eggplant, cilantro, Daikon Radish, and Chili Peppers||Sweet potato, carrot, beets, tapioca|
Apple, pear, pomegranate, cranberry, peach, papaya, guava, grapes, and persimmon
|Pineapples, bananas, avocados, oranges, peaches, coconuts, melons, dates, and figs|
|Spices||Ginger, black pepper, mustard seeds, mint, cinnamon, cloves, cayenne, garlic, turmeric, cardamom, coriander, caraway, fenugreek, nutmeg, and fennel||Salt|
|Grains||Barley, millet, corn, tapioca, muesli, amaranth, buckwheat, rye, Black beans, mung beans, and red lentils||Barley, millet, corn, tapioca, muesli, amaranth, buckwheat, rye, Black beans, mung beans, and red lentils|
|Nuts||Sunflower, pumpkin||Cashews, pistachios, and pine nuts|
|Oils||Olive oil, ghee, coconut oil, almond oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, and canola oil||Safflower oil, apricot oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil|
White Chicken, eggs, turkey, low-fat milk, and low-fat yogurt and honey.
|Red meat, lamb, pork, cheese, cream, tuna fish, sea fish, dark turkey, beef, sardines, seafood, and salmon, butter.|
Tips for balancing Kapha Dosha
Here are a few tips that will help you manage your Kapha Dosha better:
- Get a lot of exercises.
- Try Cardio workouts.
- Get up early in the morning.
- Avoid fatty and frozen foods.
- Try a liquid fast, once a week.
- Avoid taking naps during the day.
- Change up your routine from time to time.
- Exercise on a consistent and intense basis.
- Try essential oils like cinnamon and eucalyptus.
- Include meditation, journal keeping in your routine
- Dry brushing and massaging your body can help promote blood circulation.
- Surround yourself with colors like red, yellow, orange, and green.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages, caffeinated beverages, and chocolate.
- Eat lighter meals throughout the day; lunch should be your main meal.
- Oil massage (abhyanga) with light or stimulating oils like mustard or olive.