Yellow rice, aka Arroz Amarillo is a popular side dish served in many countries. For that signature yellow color, long grain rice is steamed with vibrant aromatics such as turmeric, annatto, or saffron & veggies like peas, carrots, and onions.
Good for balancing Vata and Pitta Dosha
Prep Time: 15 Min
Total Time: 35 Min
Serves: 6 Persons
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes on low heat or until the vegetables are soft and translucent. Add the sale & turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Add the rice and mix evenly. After the rice has been coated with the oil/spice mixture, add broth or water.
- Bring rice to a boil, reduce to medium-low heat and cook for 20 minutes, covered. During this time, don’t stir the rice.
- Once the rice is cooked, turn off the heat, add the peas, and cover the pan for about 8 minutes to steam the peas (this keeps their vibrant color).
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice before serving.
- Add chopped cilantro & enjoy while hot.
Serve this Yellow Spanish Rice recipe with coleslaw “dip” or Jalapeno poppers, or use it as a side for a chicken dish.
Do you want to learn more? Ask us! OR Do you know more about this topic? Educate us.