What is Laryngitis?
What are the Symptoms of Laryngitis?
What are the Causes of Laryngitis?
- The causes of a chronic condition and acute condition are not always the same. Acute laryngitis may be triggered by a viral infection that is caused by a normal cold. If you give too much pressure to your vocal cord by yelling or overdoing your voice you may get this condition. Some bacterial contaminations may cause this condition as well.
- Chronic laryngitis may be caused by several other factors, such as acid reflux, extreme consumption of alcohol, excessive smoking, paralysis of vocal cords, cancer, nerve ailments, etc.
When to see a Doctor?
- In most cases, laryngitis should not last more than a week. However, in case it lasts more than 2 weeks, it is time to book an appointment. Also, there might be some severe symptoms you may experience that may need immediate medical interventions.
- In case you have trouble breathing, it may indicate a more serious condition. So, rush to your doctor.
- You may cough up blood which is very severe. Do not delay in booking an appointment with your physician.
- If your symptoms are accompanied by increasing pain and fever that keeps coming back, you need to see a doctor.
Lifestyle Prevention of Laryngitis
- Preventing laryngitis is very much possible if it is not caused by any underlying disease. Some preventive measures can help you avoid this condition.
- Avoiding active and passive smoking is the most important measure that can be taken to prevent this condition.
- Limiting alcohol consumption is also very crucial to avoid getting laryngitis. Drinking plenty of water is very helpful in clearing your throat and reducing the inflammation of your vocal cord.
- Do not include any spicy food in your diet. As spicy food can irritate the infection and will cause severe symptoms. Instead, add as many healthy foods as possible to your diet.
- Sometimes clearing your throat the wrong way may cause laryngitis so avoid clearing your throat.
Common Ayurvedic Remedies for Laryngitis
- Garlic: Heat a glass of water and add 5-8 cloves to it. Soak it for a few hours, strain, and add one teaspoon of garlic paste. Take this drink 1 time daily till you get relief. Remember, drinking plenty of water is the key.
- Ginger and Turmeric Mixture: Ginger is famous for its anti-inflammatory effect which helps in soothing a sore throat. Mixing with turmeric will enhance its effectiveness. The herbal mixture of ginger and turmeric is outstanding to relieve painful throat and swelling generated in throats due to infection. Take a tablespoon of freshly sliced ginger, ½ a teaspoon of powdered turmeric and soak in one cup of warm water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Tulsi Kadha: This kadha is very effective in curing this condition. To make this kadha, add a few tulsi leaves in one glass of boiling water and then add grated ginger and few peppercorns in it. Additionally you can add half lemon and a pinch of salt to add flavor. Then you let it stand for a minute or two and drink it. Twice a day for a few days will help you.