The light and nutritious yellow mung dal helps calm Vata and Pitta dosha. It is good for those days when you want to have something light or have weak digestion. The spices added in this recipe balance the dryness of this soup.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 25 Minutes
Serves: 6 person
- 1 cup Yellow mung dal
- 6 cups of water
- 2 Tablespoon ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 2-3 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste (preferably Himalayan salt)
- Add mung dal with 3 cups of water in a soup pot and bring it to a boil.
- Let it cook for 25 minutes, uncovered, and stir occasionally.
- Remove it from the stove and beat it for soup-like consistency.
- For seasoning, heat the ghee in a small pan and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and hing.
- When the seeds pop, lower the heat and add garlic.
- After the garlic turns golden brown, add curry leaves, turmeric. Stir and add this to the soup.
- Add salt and cilantro, simmer for 2 more minutes and serve hot.