This Ayurvedic Horse Gram Rasam recipe is high in iron, calcium, and plant-based protein. You can get 1/4th of the daily protein you need in this single dish. It is low in fat and high in fiber, making it a diabetic-friendly food & protects the liver and gallbladder.
Good for Kapha Dosha
Prep Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 20 Min
Serves: 2-3 bowls
- Wash and soak the horse gram overnight or at least 4 hours before.
- Now wash the soaked horse gram and steam it. Once horse gram softens, keep it aside.
- Take a skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of oil/ghee, and fry mustard seeds, curry leaves, and red chilies for 10 seconds.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook until they are tender. Then add 2 teaspoons garlic paste and cook until the raw smell disappears.
- Add tamarind, salt, and water & bring to a boil. You can also add jaggery, black pepper, cumin seeds, and lemon juice as per your preferences.
- Now add steamed horse gram, bring to a boil, remove from the heat, mash, and serve hot.